Saturday, March 31, 2007

Not so Del.icio.us, Rockin' Technorati, and My Library Thing

It took me awhile to catch onto RSS feeds, but after awhile I saw the point. Sadly, I can't say the same for Del.icio.us. I think my main glitch is that I barely use bookmarks as it is, so the idea of gathering them all in one handy, searchable place isn't that exciting to me. I can see how it would be useful for someone who needed to collect resources on a particular topic and refer back to them (maybe someone writing a book or constantly answering questions about a specific subject). In general, it seems more efficient to broaden one's search with Google or narrow it by using a specific site.

Technorati is a great resource for searching blogs, and for getting your blog more attention. I think it works far better than searching Blogger, and I was easily able to find things I'd written, as well as things written by people I know. Rock on, Technorati!

The first thing I thought when I looked at Library Thing is, "That's a good way to get your books stolen." I mean, think about it, you say you have some hard-to-find book that someone's been coveting, they figure out who you are, and boom! you come home one day to find your windows broken and your bookshelves cleaned out. Here's another awesome idea - let's catalog our electronic equipment online where everyone can see it!

Okay, so I'm a little paranoid, but I didn't let that stop me. I started cataloging books and I couldn't stop. Pretty soon my required 5 had turned into 28, and I still want to keep tagging away. I'm not sure how useful this is to the average person, but it would be great for people who enjoy lending/borrowing books, and it's great for those moments at the used bookstore when you've found a book by a favorite author and you can't quite remember if you already have it. The trouble is, you'd also have to have internet access, but these days we can get online just about anywhere.

I also managed to put a my Library Thing widget into my Blog (right above the archives and my profile), but if you need a quick link, here it is:

http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=learningblog

No comments: