Thursday, May 10, 2007

And They Lived Happily Ever After - THE END

I can't believe we're actually through! 27 lessons sounded like so many when we started out, but we whipped through them like they were...um, potato chips. (Sorry, that's a weird analogy, but I was trying to think of something you'd devour quickly.) I have had a great time with these exercises, and really looked forward to each installment. I've said it before, but this format really worked for me. It was so nice to work on the lessons as I had time, going at my own pace, but with plenty of support from co-workers who were doing the same thing. What's more fun than learning new things with your friends?! Together we were able to tackle all of the questions that came up.

I also loved being exposed to new technology like RSS feeds and Rollyo. Even if I never use them again, I will know what they are, and won't stand there with my mouth hanging open if a patron asks about them. MySpace was my favorite adventure by far, and I learned a lot as I kept adding to my page. That's where I figured out how to embed videos, even before our lesson. Of course I could have set up an account on my own, but I didn't have a compelling reason to do it until KCLSU gave me the push I needed. What else should the lessons have covered? I wish I knew! You guys came up with stuff I never expected - this is why we need KCLSU!

One of the things that surprised me the most was how fun the program was. I've learned to be leery of classes because I get a migraine from the lighting every time I go to Service Center, and the pacing is always so slow that I feel like I'm going to die. It was refreshing to learn from my desk and have a blast doing it. I think we could involve more staff in learning exercises if the lessons came to us, instead of us driving to Issaquah. I hope very much that this spirit of learning continues within KCLS, and look forward to the next adventure.

Oh, and if I had a time machine so I could tell myself whether or not to participate? I'd go back and say, "Do it, Dummy!" No question.

No comments: